D&D 5E Troll – Dungeons & Dragons Trolls
Trolls are present in many folklores around the world, especially Scandinavian folklore. In the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game, however, trolls are distinctly unique. Long-nosed, tall, and skinny, they are humanoids with a resilient skin and an ability to regenerate, who can’t stand fire.
Let us learn more about trolls in Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition.
In D&D 5e, the troll comes with the following traits:
- Regeneration Trolls heal fast and can attach their dismembered parts back, undisturbed by temporary disablement. Acid and fire attacks prevent trolls from recovering 10 hit points at the start of the next turn. If a troll starts its next turn with 0 hit points and can’t regenerate, it dies.
- Keen Smell The troll possesses an advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks based on smell.
Some trolls may have the Loathsome Limbs trait. For a severed part of a troll to die, it needs to finish rest for a new part to grow. Until then, a dismembered part acts and moves by itself under the troll’s command. Severed parts possess Armor Class 13, 10 hit points, and Regeneration trait.
- Dismembered legs have a speed of 5 feet. They can’t deliver attacks.
- Dismembered arms have a speed of 5 feet. They can deliver one claw attack on their turn, if the troll sees the arm and its target.
- Dismembered heads have a speed of 0 feet and Keen Smell trait. They can deliver bite attacks, if their targets are in their space.
- When the troll loses an arm, it loses a claw attack.
- Losing a leg cuts down the troll’s speed by half. Losing both legs makes the troll fall prone.
- With no legs and both arms, the troll can crawl. With no legs and only one arm, the troll can crawl, but twice slower. With no legs and no arms, the troll’s speed equals 0 and bonuses to its speed become useless.
- Without head, the troll can’t deliver bite attacks. Its body also becomes blinded unless the severed head can see it.
In D&D 5e, the troll is a large giant and chaotic evil. Its key attributes are:
- Armor Class: 15 (natural armor).
- Hit Points: 84 (8d10 + 40).
- Speed: 30 ft.
- Strength: 18 (+4).
- Dexterity: 13 (+1).
- Constitution: 20 (+5).
- Intelligence: 7 (-2).
- Wisdom: 9 (-1).
- Charisma: 7 (-2).
- Skills: Perception +2.
- Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 12.
- Languages: Giant.
- Challenge: 5 (1,800 XP).
The troll 5e is capable of these actions in D&D 5e:
- Multiattack The troll delivers one attack using its bite and two attacks using its claws.
- Bite Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6 + 4) piercing damage.
- Claws Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) slashing damage.